Saturday 30 October 2010

Ardsley Reservoir

I have been on a hunt for an unpopulated, pram friendly walk since my little one was born. Ardsley Reservoir may just fit the bill.

Located between Wakefield and Leeds, Ardsley Reservoir is a stretch of water with panoramic views south towards Emley Moor. The site is managed by Yorkshire Water. As a reservoir it is not a natural site, so be prepared for some concrete and necessary water works, but on the whole, the reservoir and its banks are unspoilt. Best of all is the wide, very pram friendly, path the whole way around.

The reservoir is accessed from Haig Moor Road where there is a free, off road car park.There aren't any facilities on site, so be prepared to nappy change on the back seat of the car!

It is about 1.3 miles around the whole reservoir and I easily completed 2 circuits on my visit. It was a blustery late October afternoon, so not really peak walking weather, but I imagine the views to be fantastic on a clearer day. It was busy with dog walkers and people out for a stroll, but no where near as busy as some of the local country parks I have visited and every bit as scenic. As with everywhere I visit locally I was aware of the hum of the M1, so it is not a complete escape, however well worthy of a Sunday afternoon stroll if you are in the area.

In researching this walk I came across a website run by Yorkshire Water, summarising easy walking routes that they manage (see link below). I'll certainly be investigating a few more of these.

Map of location 
Useful webite: Yorkshire Water walking routes http://recreation.yorkshirewater.com/?OBH=3820


No comments:

Post a Comment